The Future of Religion

The future of religion is a growing concern for religious leaders all over the world and Bulgaria is no exception. It seems that many religions are losing their followers, though this is not the case for all. In this section, we will take a look at the future of religion and highlight some specific areas that might be relevant thistorical-sculpture-religiono Bulgaria.

Religious expert Phil Zuckerman has said ‘there’s absolutely more atheists around today than ever before, both in sheer numbers and as a percentage of humanity.’ Though the numbers are actually pretty small. It is estimated that only 13% of the world’s population are classified as non-believers, though this means that the remaining 87% believe in something and that something doesn’t have to be a religion as we know it bur rather a higher being of some sort.

Though the decline in religion seems to be a fact across the world. There are certain places where we can see it happening at a much greater pace. One of these places is Europe. However, it’s difficult to identify why, because the US has fairly steady rates of religious belief and is comparable to Europe in wealth and education. Other places which are in decline and Brazil and Japan. The only places where religion does not seem to be taking a hit is in the Middle East, in countries such as Iran and Israel. However, these places operate in very specific circumstances. Israel is a country founded on religious principles. In Iran one can be punished for not adhering to strict religious practices, therefore people may lie and go along with religious views to avoid punishment.

However, some people claim that with the rise of terrorism, poverty and a seemingly chaotic world, some are turning to religion as a way of finding peace.